Monday 10 August 2015

Motivational Monday: Cinnamon and Honey Granola



Hello Lovelies,
I thought it was about time I showed you lovelies some of my favourite healthy recipes and this came at a perfect time as lately I have been really craving some granola and I didn’t want to buy a store bought one because they are so high in sugar. That is definitely a big tip from me when you are trying to be healthy is to be aware of the hidden sugars in granola and other cereals which are labelled as being ‘healthy’. Even the cereals which people would assume to be one of the ‘healthier’ cereals available to buy in the supermarket are actually incredibly high in sugar. I would totally recommend trying out this amazing recipe which I adapted from the insanely talented and beautiful Deliciously Ella. I changed a few things in order to meet my own preferences and what I had available in my cupboards.

What I love most about any oat/granola recipe is the fact that you can adapt the most basic recipe to meet what you yourself like in your granola and really experiment with many different flavours, fruits and nuts. This recipe is very basic and you can add and subtract whatever you like. It is perfect for those mornings when you just want something quick and easy yet something which will fill you up and is very nutritious.  Paired with some Greek Yogurt and your favourite fruits and that’s all there is to it.

The Walnuts and Almonds provide such great nutritious benefits by providing you with some protein, omega 3’s and also Vitamin E. Linseeds will provide you with some essential minerals such as phosphorous, magnesium etc. Linseeds are incredibly high in fibre and are great for improving digestion, reducing any bloating you may feel on a regular basis and on top of that they help with improving heart health. I am obsessed with cinnamon so the fact that I can make this the main flavour of this granola is like music to my ears, Cinnamon is great for lowering blood sugar levels and reducing the risk of heart disease. And of course the natural sweetener I like to use is honey; you could also use agave or maple syrup.



Recipe:
1 ½ Cups of Oats
½ Cup of Chopped Almonds
½ Cup of Crushed Walnuts
1 ½ Tablespoons of Coconut Oil
1 ½ Tablespoons of Ground Cinnamon
1 ½ Tablespoons of Honey
1/4 Cup Linseeds
Handful of Raisins

Method:
  1. I would definitely recommend before you start anything to weigh out all your ingredients and have them laid out in front of you, this just makes it easier when mixing everything together and I feel as though it cuts down on time.
  2. Pre-heat your oven to 180 Degrees Celsius.
  3. Put your oats, nuts and any seeds into a mixing bowl and whisk them all together.
  4. In a saucepan, melt your coconut oil. When your coconut oil is melted down then you can add in your honey and cinnamon and mix well.
  5. Make a hollow in the centre of the oat and nut mixture and add in the wet ingredients. Mix well until everything is incorporated and it should be slightly sticky.
  6. Lay out the mixture on a baking tray evenly and put into the middle of your preheated oven for 30-40 minutes. It is key to check the granola every 10/15 minutes and mix it to make sure the top doesn’t burn.


No comments:

Post a Comment